Vietnam cooperates with WIPO and Japan to organize an international conference “The Madrid system for international registration of trademarks for intellectual property offices in Asia – Pacific”AAA IPRIGHT2
From March 16 to 17, 2022 in Hanoi, NOIP in collaboration with the World Intellectual Property Organization WIPO and the Japanese Patent Office JPO organized an international conference name “The Madrid system for international registration of trademarks for intellectual property offices in Asia – Pacific”.
As an annual activity of countries in the region to promote initiatives, propagate and promote the Madrid system in the region, the international conference on “The Madrid system for international registration of trademarks for intellectual property offices in Asia – Pacific” was organized to promote cooperation between the three blocs Vietnam, Japan and WIPO in intellectual property issues.
Participants in the workshop included officials in charge of the Madrid system representing 12 National Intellectual Property Offices of 12 countries in the Asia-Pacific region, experts from WIPO, JPO and the National Office of Intellectual Property representing the host country Vietnam.
Main content at the International Conference “The Madrid system for international registration of trademarks for intellectual property offices in Asia – Pacific”
Opening remarks at the Workshop, Mr. Hongbing Chen – Director, Madrid Executive, Madrid Registration Department, Trademarks and Designs, WIPO shared that up to now, the Madrid System is the only global system for trademark protection in foreign markets.
After 132 years since establishment, the Madrid System has become an essential trademark registration channel for the world’s operation and connection in the field of trademark intellectual property protection.
During this time, the Madrid System continuously gained awareness and thereby the participation of new member states. In particular, the Asia – Pacific region has made great progress. Vietnam also belongs to this region, as one of the countries that make the most of the services provided by the Madrid International Trademark Registration System.
According to WIPO’s report, the number of applications from Vietnam and other countries in Asia has increased sharply by about 5 times in the past 10 years. On the other hand, trademark applications from countries on other continents around the world that registered their application designating the Asia-Pacific region also increased sharply by about 7%, demonstrating the view of international community for economic development in Vietnam and Asia.
JPO representative, Mr. Shun KUKITA, Trademark Assessor, Department of General Goods and Textiles, gave a speech about how Japan has also effectively taken advantage of its accession to the Madrid International Trademark Registration System, evident from the fact that the number of applications, successful registrations and Japanese designations have increased significantly over the past decade.
The main topics discussed between WIPO and representatives of IP offices of different countries include:
- General overview and updates on the Madrid System from WIPO and from the intellectual property authorities of the member countries;
- Acting as an agency of origin: Actual processing of international applications (international registration procedures, confirmations, omissions, limitations…);
- Classification of products and services (updates and news on product and service classification such as: classification guide, MGS product and service management tool…);
- Actual appraisal of the classification of goods and services;
- Acting as a designated body: decisions from a designated body include decision types, forms, deadlines, provisional denials, conservatorships, and final decisions,…;
- Actual due diligence as a designated body;
- Communication between agencies and WIPO especially by digital tools, online;
- Measures to promote the Madrid System.
*** Other Articles***
– You could visit here to see the Trademark Registration in Vietnam.
– You can also check the Vietnam Trademark Law: Detailed Guide And Legal Notes.
Contact AAA IPRIGHT: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or sending your inquiry by filling the form: