Questions of filing trademark in Vietnam: POA, Trademark requirement and trademark fee in Vietnam.Paul - AAA IPRIGHT
Question: My client is interested to file more than one trademark application at the same time in Vietnam, but he only signed 1 Power of Attorney. Is 1 original Power of Attorney sufficient for filing more than 1 application in Vietnam? If not, is a copy of the Power of Attorney for the second application sufficient?
AAA IPRIGHT: It is advised that we only need 01 POA for different trademarks under the same applicant.
Question: Can a Vietnam Power of Attorney in the applicant’s name without address be filed or not in Vietnam?
The applicant need to provide address in the Power Of Attorney. The address could be any country, it is not necessary to be in Vietnam.
Question: Must the Vietnam Power of Attorney be original before filing?
AAA IPRIGHT: No. You could submit the Power of Attorney later within 01 month from the filing date of your trademark in Vietnam.
Question: If a Vietnam Power of Attorney has two applicants’ names, is one Power of Attorney sufficient?
AAA IPRIGHT: You could put all information of applicants in 01 Power of Attorney.
Question: Is it compulsory to indicate Class number? My client and I have no knowledge on Classes.
AAA IPRIGHT: Yes, it is compulsory. If you do not know, send us lists of products or services bearing your trademark, we will select classes for you.
Question: If a word mark contains non-Vietnamese words and characters, is an English translation required? If yes, must the English translation be original?
AAA IPRIGHT: Yes, translation is required. You could insert the Vietnamese translation under your original trademark, you could see the example here:
Question: Are a plain scanned copy of an English translation and extracts/an extract downloaded from on-line dictionary be sufficient?
AAA IPRIGHT: Yes, it is enough.
Question: How long does it take for a word mark to be registered in Vietnam?
– Filing stage: 01-02 days from we receive your instruction.
– Formality stage: 01 month from the filing date of your trademark in Vietnam
– Publication stage: 02 months from the formality stage.
– Registration stage or Refusal stage: 10-12 months from the publication stage.
The total time should be around 16-18 months from the filing date in a straight forward case.
(You could read procedure of trademark registration in Vietnam here.)
Question: How much is trademark fee in Vietnam?
– Stage 1: FILING TRADE IN VIETNAM
|Scope of work: Filing Trademark Application||FEE
|For the 1st class||170.00|
|For the 2nd class||100.00|
* Note: In Vietnam, if one class has more than 6th items, additional fee for each item upwards is $US15.00.
|Scope of work: Obtaining trademark registration certificate||FEE
|For the 1st class||40.00|
|For the 2nd class||30.00|
* Note: Our Fee for Trademark in Vietnam includes all fees (official fee and legal fee); exclude fee for responding to office action, if any.
Question: If a word mark consists of Chinese characters, Japanese characters, non-Vietnamese words and characters, must an English translation of these characters/words be filed in Vietnam? Must it be original? Is certified true copy or a plain copy acceptable? My word mark is not in Vietnamese.
AAA IPRIGHT: You must translate it into English. You can insert such translation under your original trademark
Question: The translation/translations to appear on the application form? If no translations, can the application still be filed?
AAA IPRIGHT: It can be filed but refused later
Question: What is meant by “refused later”? Does Vietnam Registry impose deadline to file English translation and/or Vietnamese translation? Can provide English translation only?
AAA IPRIGHT: English translation is compulsory at the filing time if the trademark are in Chinese, Korean, Japanese. If you do not insert the translation at the filing time, the trademark shall be refused when they examine it.
If the trademark has meaning, it should be translated into Vietnamese. If it does not have meaning, no Vietnamese translation is required.
Question: If the trademark is a common English word, does the Vietnam Registry require Vietnamese translation?
AAA IPRIGHT: Yes, every-word has meaning, it shall be translated
Question: Translate by your office or by the customer?
AAA IPRIGHT: Both is acceptable.
– You can also check the Fee of Trademark In Vietnam here.
– Regarding the required documents of trademark in Vietnam, you can see here.
– You could visit here to see Procedure of Vietnam Trademark Registration.
– Other questions of trademark in Vietnam here.
– You could also check the trademark fees in ASEAN countries here. All with affordable fees.
– You could also check the trademark fees in ASIA here. All with affordable fees.
Contact AAA IPRIGHT: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or sending your inquiry by filling the form: